Dumbells haven’t featured heavily in CrossFit, at least not as much as Barbells, but all that changed at the 2017 CrossFit Open. In 2017, not a single barbell was featured at either the CrossFit Open or the CrossFit Regionals – Dumbells, and to some extent kettlebells, were used instead. Since it looks like dumbells are here to stay, over the next few weeks, we’ll be looking at each of these movments in our dumbell series.
First up, CrossFit Seminar Staff member Julie Foucher demonstrates the Dumbbell Front Rack lunge. Just as with the Front Rack Barbell Lunges, remember to keep the knees aligned to the toes and the weight on the heel of the front foot.
This front rack position can also be used for Squats.
Points Of Performance
- Hold dumbbels at the shoulders
- One leg steps forward
- Keep heel of forward leg down
- Raise heel of back leg
- Lower torso until back knee touches the ground
- Forward leg shin remains relatively vertical
- Complete at full hip and knee extension
- Opposite leg begins next step
- Can be performed with 1 or 2 dumbbells